As part of OneOC’s five Days of Service, Family Volunteer Day is a national day of service that demonstrates and celebrates the power of families who volunteer together to support their communities.
Since 1992, Family Volunteer Day has been held on the Saturday before Thanksgiving to “kick-off” the holiday season with giving and service. This day showcases the benefits of family volunteering and provides opportunities for families to help communities create supportive environments for their children and each other.
To celebrate Family Volunteer Day, OneOC is sponsoring county-wide service projects and toolkits, engaging volunteers of all ages in projects that support our local nonprofits, schools, veteran organizations, and American Family heroes.
- View 2014 Signature Projects
- Volunteers – Sign up to be placed on a 2014 Interest List
- Nonprofits – Post a project for 2014
Saturday November 22nd
Families Forward – Thanksgiving Holiday Distribution FULL
Safety Net- Volunteers will help hand out Thanksgiving food boxes to over 700 OC families in need.
Second Harvest Food Bank – Harvesting at The Great Park FULL
Safety Net (Hunger)- Volunteers will harvest produce that will be donated to the many OC families who struggle to provide the bare necessities for their children. Additionally volunteers are encouraged to bring non-perishable food donations to the event. Multiple shifts available:
- 8:30am-11:00am – Harvesting event from (for ages 7+ and accompanied by and adult)
- 1:00-3:00pm – Harvesting event from (for ages 7+ and accompanied by and adult)
Veterans First – House Beautification
Santa Ana 9:00am-11:00am
Safety Net (Veterans) – Volunteers will clean, refurbish and install window coverings in two historic veteran group homes. Multiple locations:
- #1611 – Historic Home Window Refurbishing from 9:00-11:00am (for ages 6+ and accompanied by an adult)
- #2025 – Historic Home Window Refurbishing from 9:00-11:00am (for ages 6+ and accompanied by an adult)
Bolsa Chica Conservancy – Native Plant Restoration (100 Volunteer Spots)
Huntington Beach 9:00am-12:00pm
Environment – Volunteers will restore native habitat, clean up the conservancy, plant seeds and seedlings, water native plants and enjoy a native animal show/feeding.
Irvine Ranch Conservancy – Native Plant Renewal FULL
Irvine 9:00am-12:00pm (25 Volunteer Spots)
Environment – Volunteers will restore, cleanup, plant seeds and water CA native plants.
Illumination Foundation – Thanksgiving Dinner FULL
Safety Net (Hunger)- Volunteers will create a welcoming Thanksgiving for underserved children and their families including set-up, meal preparation, meal service, arts & crafts, food distribution and clean-up. Additionally volunteers are encouraged to bring non-perishable food donations to the event and Thanksgiving pies. Multiple shifts available:
- 10:00am-11:30am – Decorating and Table Setting (tablecloths, plates, napkins, silverware, table decorations, etc.) FULL
- 11:00am-12:30pm – Food Preparation (setting up food, fixing bread baskets, making veggie platters, etc.) FULL
- 12:00pm-2:30pm – First Meal Service (serve food to participants who will arrive at various times to the event) FULL
- 12:00pm-3:00pm – First Group of Kid Craft and Game Volunteers (play games, lead Thanksgiving craft 4 kids, etc.) FULL
- 3:00pm-5:30pm – Second Meal Service (serve food to participants who will arrive a various times to the event) FULL
- 3:00pm-5:30pm – Second Group of Kid Craft and Game Volunteers (play games, lead Thanksgiving craft 4 kids, etc.) FULL
- 3:00pm-6:00pm – Bagging food for families, handing out 2nd Harvest pallet of fresh produce and CLEANING UP FULL
Sunday November 23rd
OneOC Family Service Teams – Multiple Service Projects, Orange County 1:00pm-2:00pm
The Family Service Team program provides children and their families with a simple and organized way of building volunteerism into family life. Working together, families have fun while learning about the importance of giving their time, talent and energy to make a difference throughout Orange County.
Family Service Teams are groups of 10-15 families that volunteer together on a monthly basis at nonprofit organizations throughout Orange County. Teams are led by volunteer team leaders who provide support and structure for the Family Service Team Program. Some of the needs addressed by Family Service Teams are: hunger, homelessness, literacy, animal care, veterans, the elderly and the environment. The program is geared to 3-12 year olds, but all ages are welcome. FST is inspired by the passion and commitment of Orange County families as well as peer connections built through programs like youth sports.
Join us in 2014 to honor the national Family Service Day here in Orange County or start your own team.
Click here to Register
Unable to participate in one of our Signature Projects?
Sign up to receive one of our project toolkits that you and your group can complete in honor of Family Volunteer Day including recognizing our local nonprofits… Click here to Register
- Blue Star Families – Letter Writing Campaign (Safety Net – Veterans)
- FST Team Leaders – Family Service Projects (Education – Youth Development)
- Local Family Heroes – Nonprofit Gratitude Kits (All Impact Areas)
- Orange County Food Bank – Boxes of Compassion (Safety Net – Hunger)
November 22, 2014 — Garden Grove FULL
This year In honor of National Family Volunteer Day, 1500 volunteers will pack food boxes that will be distributed to vulnerable families for the holidays. The Orange County Food Bank is a program of the Community Action Partnership of Orange County. The Food Bank is housed in a 60,000 square foot warehouse, which includes a huge commercial refrigerator and freezer capable of handling over 20 truckloads of food. The Food Bank distributes nearly 20 million pounds of food annually. They also provide food and personal care items to nearly 400 other nonprofits throughout Orange County. At the Food Bank’s warehouse volunteers package 23,500 boxes of food each month for distribution at 50 sites across the county.
- Parking Safety & Security (10 spots) 7:30am-4:30pm FULL
Volunteers will provide leadership for the safety set-up and security of the main warehouse parking lot as well as two adjacent off-site locations.
- Hospitality (10 spots) 7:00am-5:00pm FULL
Volunteers will provide leadership for set-up, restock and serve refreshments for staff and volunteers as well as provide and serve after 2:30 snacks.
To learn more how you can help, go to www.ocfoodbank.org.