OneOC’s Service-Learning School Garden Projects
The OneOC Service-Learning School Garden Project provides an on-going opportunity for Orange County elementary schools to meet CA Standards-based Life Science instructional goals while giving K-6 students a chance to provide meaningful service to their community.
For the past year, students in 10 Orange County elementary schools have participated in a seed-to-harvest program designed by OneOC. Elementary schools that have participated in this project represent 7 Orange County School Districts. These schools are: Alderwood, Clara Barton, Esplanade, Kinoshita, Monte Vista, Plaza Vista, Sun View, Vista Verde, Westmont and Wilson.
Students at these schools have grown zucchini, cabbage and broccoli to benefit the Second Harvest Food Bank, whose mission is to alleviate hunger in Orange County. All garden proceeds have been donated to Second Harvest to feed hungry Orange County residents.
The goals of the OneOC Service-Learning School Garden Project are as follows:
- To accelerate nonprofit success in Orange County by providing Orange County elementary students the resources to address hunger in their community while connecting OC schools to nonprofit partners
- To keep students engaged in school and learning
- To develop involved citizens
- To hone critical thinking and problem-solving skills
As the OneOC Service-Learning School Garden Project continues to address local hunger in 2013, students are planting seeds and seedlings, caring for the plants as they grow, and harvesting them as they complete their growing cycle.
Start your own Service-Learning Garden Project!
Teachers and students who are interested in beginning a service-learning garden program at their school can use the following Project Sheets to plan and organize their project, as well as check out the links to Garden Information and Lesson Plans below.
- Service-Learning School Garden Seed Starting Project Sheet
- Service-Learning Raised Bed Garden Project Sheet
Additional Service-Learning Garden Resources
- California School Garden Network
- Growing Greener Schools
- National Gardening Association
- School Garden Weekly
- School Garden Wizard
K-6 Life Science Garden Lesson Plans:
- Agriculture in the Classroom
- Garden A B C’s
- Growing Minds: Farm to School
- Huntington Library
- School Garden Resources
Additional Resources for K-6 Teachers and Students:
- How Plants Grow by Dona Herweck Rice
- Plants by Jodene Lynn Smith & Stephanie Reid
- Our School Garden: Patterns by Rann Roberts
- In the Garden by Jane Gould
- How to Grow a School Garden by Arden Bucklin-Sporer and Rachel Pringle
- Edible Schoolyard: A Universal Idea by Alice Waters
- Our School Garden by Rick Swann and Christy Hale
To learn more about the OneOC Service-Learning School Garden Program contact Abby Edmunds at [email protected] or (714) 953-5757 x123.